Netball Sport ethic: Respect, Teamwork, Achievement and Fun
By abiding by these Codes of Conduct, netball players can achieve respect, good sportsmanship, high standards of behaviour and ethics to provide them with an enjoyable, safe and stimulating experience.
Everyone must conduct themselves in an honest, fair, impartial and transparent manner.
I will Respect:
- The rules, regulations and requirements of the Sport, including, but not limited to, any competitions in which I participate either directly or indirectly
- The rights, dignity and worth of all people involved in netball, regardless of gender, marital status, race, colour, disability, sexuality, age, occupation, religion or political opinion
- The rights, dignity and worth of Children, Young People and Adults at Risk and ensure that I am aware of the Safeguarding best practice guidelines and procedures when interacting with them.
- Confidentiality and the sensitivities of information I hold on other individuals.
- Netball and the individual’s reputation and not take any action or make inappropriate comments about a fellow participant, coach, official, volunteer or member of England Netball’s staff that will bring the Sport or those associated with delivering the Sport into disrepute, including making comments on social media technology. I will respect EN’s guidance and policies on social media technology.
- The position I hold within Netball and always conduct and dress myself in an appropriate manner.
- The result of the game and will not attempt to offer, offer or accept either directly or indirectly any consideration whatsoever in return for influencing or attempting to influence the result or seek to achieve personal gain on a result which I can influence by betting on any match or event where I am participating, either by playing, coaching or officiating, or through direct or indirect involvement.
Netball is based on Teamwork, therefore I will:
- Not abuse or misuse any relationship of trust or position of power or influence held by me in my team, be that my playing team, Club, County, Regional or England Netball
- Be on time, dressed appropriately and ready to give my full attention to the role I am carrying out within Netball
- Recognise that individuals bring different qualities and attributes but “together we will excel”.
- Welcome new members, volunteers, and connected participation and cooperate with Members, Connected Participants, colleagues, coaches, officials and administrators already in the Sport.
I recognise individuals participate in Netball to achieve and have fun, therefore I will:
- Recognise the achievements of others and applaud their successes
- Endeavour to ensure that all involved in the Sport optimise their potential by promoting the positive aspects of the sport and never condoning the use of inappropriate or abusive language, inappropriate relationships, bullying, harassment, discrimination or physical violence.
- Not impinge on others enjoyment of the Sport or my performance by consuming alcoholic drinks or smoke immediately prior to or while participating in the sport, or while safeguarding children, young people or vulnerable adults
- Ensure that everyone has the opportunity to participant in a fair, honest environment by rejecting cheating, abiding by the Anti-Doping policies and not taking illegal substances immediately prior to or while participating in the Sport.
- Display modesty in victory and graciousness in defeat; be sporting – whether I win or lose; always acknowledge the other team and the umpires at the end of the game with a hand shake or three cheers.
- Never argue with an official or participant during a game and listen to and cooperate with officials’ decisions
- Control my temper; I understand that verbal, emotional and physical abuse of officials, coaches, spectators or participants, or deliberately distracting or provoking a participant, coach or official is not acceptable or permitted behaviour in netball
- Enjoy the game and ensure others can also enjoy it.